Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Milbrandt Vineyards: A Tasty Surprise

Label_l_syrah_front_webIt's no secret that I love wines from Washington -- I recommend them often in the pages of Southern Living.  Generally speaking, I think it's tough to match the state's consistent quality and value.
A few days ago, I had the opportunity to try Milbrandt Vineyard's 05 Legacy Syrah and 05 Legacy Merlot -- both are terrific wines.

I've sampled a some outstanding wines from Washington over the years, but Milbrandt was new to me.  What a wonderful surprise.  First, the Merlot.  From the get-go I was taken by the wine's balance.  Food pairings -- everything from a hearty grilled steak to smoked baby back ribs -- rocketed through my brain. Hints of ripe fruits such as blackberries and cherries coupled with a pleasant smokiness are capped off by a lengthy finish, so you can truly savor every sip.

Syrah is one of my favorite grapes, so I was really looking forward to this one...and this powerhouse didn't disappoint.  This is a rich, full-bodied red to be sure, but the wine's structure and elegance are unmistakable.  Before I even had my first sip, robust aromas of tobacco, espresso beans, and dark berries had me thinking about braised short ribs with garlic mashed potatoes.  (I suddenly got very nostalgic for a fireplace and cool, fall weather).  As with the Merlot, the Syrah has the kind of lingering finish that signals high quality and keeps you smiling.

Both wines retail for about $25 and are worth every dollar.

Have a new discovery you'd like to share?  I'd love to hear about it, so shoot me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment